Monday, October 02, 2006

The Kansas Trip

Here we are, safe and sound in Columbia. The bike trip continues to be full of good surprises, and Heidi & I are both really enjoying the Katy Trail, which is an old railroad bed that has been converted into a cross-state bicycle trail. No cars! No trucks! And lots of bicyclists to chat with along the way. Not only that, but bathrooms and water conveniently located right next to the trail, as well as historical signboards at each "depot." What paradise have we found ourselves in???

Heidi and I arrived at the Katy Trail through a roundabout self-designed route, which took us from Newton, Kansas, to Lawrence, Kansas, and then over into Missouri. Our Kansas route traveled through Chase County (of Prairyerth fame), including a stop in charming Cottonwood Falls (beautiful historic courthouse). My parents surprised us there, and took us out for supper at the Emma Chase Cafe, which was also hosting its weekly bluegrass jam.

On our second day of Kansas pedaling we went to Osage City, which was not as charming as Cottonwood Falls. However, as we pulled our bikes up behind the police station shed in the late evening light, a man who lives behind the police station noticed us from his yard. He immediately came over to chat, and after a minute offered us a spot in his yard, showers, and breakfast in the morning. Lloyd said, "My Mom always said, never let anyone leave your home hungry."

The third day out we made it into Lawrence, where I lived last year. It was so cool to realize that we'd bicycled from Newton to Lawrence, a route I have driven innumerable times. Not only that, but I got a much better sense for the land and towns in between Newton and Lawrence from my bicycle seat rather than from the driver's seat in a car. I felt the Flint Hills in my legs and the wind blowing from the West, and heard the insects buzzing in the ditches.

Lawrence is a happenin' town, and so our one stopover day there turned into two. Probably a good thing, because the muscles needed some recuperation. It was also great to visit the house where I lived last year, and the dear friends I lived with, as well as other friends in the area, former coworkers, and my brother, Daniel.

Okay, I'm going to turn the keyboard over to Heidi, and she's going to update ya'll on the great state of Missouri.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home